Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Junk?!? How dare you..

I recently went back to my hometown of Winchester, Virginia to hang with my Mom for the day. I can say with confidence -  I get all my creativity from her. She is an actual artist and one of the best home decorators I know.

We talk on a daily basis, and our conversations usually consists of the newest edition of Traditional Home or the sweetest deal we got at TJ Maxx or our latest project at home.

Needless to say, when I visit her our day is going to consist of shopping for our houses. One of our favorite things to do is go "hunting" in antique stores and flea markets!

I know this isn't for everyone. The smell alone in some of these places is enough to have you running for the door. But if you can solider through it and get ready to look at all this "junk" with creative possibilities...you can find awesome treasures.

A couple things to remember when at an antique mall or flea market:

1. All prices are negotiable.
2. Ignore color - you can paint pretty much ANYTHING.
3. Paying in cash can be a negotiating tool.
4. Bring a big enough car to haul things home.
5. Scan your home decor magazines and catalogs before you go, heck bring them with you. You would be shocked at how many Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware-esque things you will find for cheap!
6. Don't get discouraged. Just because you didn't find what you were looking for today doesn't mean it won't be there tomorrow. These places get new stuff in all the time.

My most recent shopping adventure with Mom took place at a local indoor antique mall called 'Past and Present'. It's a huge warehouse-like building that consists of hundreds of 'booths'. People rent a 10'x10' space and sell their things. Some of it is old, some of it is new, and some of it is very strange...

Here are some of the things we found this past visit:

Wouldn't this make the cutest headboard for a kid's bedroom? The colors were so vibrant.

This old scale was only like 15 bucks. It would be a perfect accessory in someone's kitchen. See what other people are doing with old scales here.

Queen-sized head and foot board for only $100...not bad. This could also easily be painted any color in the rainbow. I kinda like it as is.


I would have loved to buy this old copper bin. It would have look fabulous next to my fireplace with logs in it or even as storage for rolled up blankets. However because it was copper, it was over $300 (teddy bear inside not included). I couldn't swing that price tag. (My Mom and I get kinda proud of ourselves though when we are able to pick out the most expensive things in these places.)


This old pink chenille bedspread was fun. It reminded me of an episode of Sarah's House, where she turned something similar into pillows for a little girl's room. Two euro shams out of this would look so cool in a girl's room or any room for that matter. It adds color, a vintage touch, and texture. Only $40!

I picked up this little baby for $14. I immediately pictured it painted some bright color and sitting on my desk at home. Not sure yet what the final look will be but I will post the progess soon! (p.s. it works!)


I know, I know...it's an ugly grey headboard. BUT it's an upholstered headboard for $29! All you have to do is make a simple slipcover for it or reupholster and voila! I have made several headboards and although inexpensive in comparison to buying new...you still have to get the wood, the batting, the foam... let alone go through the steps of constructing it. If I was in need of a queen headboard, I would have snatched this up!


Seriously almost bought this accent table with a marble top . It was $199 and great just the way it was. It would look perfect in an entryway. Unfortunately the size didn't work for my house. :(


This table is hard to see but it was really cool and large. Perfect for a family room and someone looking for that aged look. Only $129...try finding that at Pottery Barn.

OK here is where it gets SCARY!



Ugliest lamp on earth award...is that fringe?

I actually thought about getting this to put next to my bed..."oh hello Mr. intruder"

HOLY HOG!!! (this thing is was a beast :))



No comments:

Post a Comment