Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My First Birchbox has Arrived!

I heard about Birchboxes for the first time this past Summer. At first I wasn't totally sold. Why would I pay for beauty samples?

Birchbox is a company that sends you 4-5 hand-picked deluxe samples to your door for $10 a month. These "deluxe samples" include brands like: Nars, Stila, Kiehl's, etc.

This is a total splurge. Not necessary at all. But I love to try new things and especially things that I wouldn't typically go out and buy. Plus it's kinda fun getting a surprise every month :)

So back in October my friend Lacy told me she gets the Birchbox and loves it. So I figured what the hey, and went for it. You can cancel at any time, so not a huge commitment. I received my first box this weekend and here's what I got:



Just getting a pink box like this on your doorstep would make any girl happy.


The packaging is so nice...well done Birchbox people. 


 Oh a little note. Just for me? Oh thanks Birchbox team!  (P.S. If you end up liking any of the samples that you receive and want to buy the full-size product you earn points: 1 point per $1 spent...100 points earned = $10 credit. You also get free shipping on the products of the month.)


Even the individual samples are wrapped up in pink!

Ta Da!

What I got:

1. Joeur Lip Enhancer - Supposed to hydrate, plump, and condition. I put some on and it was nice but not sure about the "plumping" claim...we will see. ($14)
2. kate spade new york "Twirl" perfume - To be honest, I have had a cold for the past week and I can't smell much so I am sure this is loverly but I will have to wait till I am healthier. ($80)
3. Thymes Eucalyptus & Kimono Rose Body Lotion - I have used Thymes products before and I love them. All there scents are fresh and lovely. These will be great to travel with. ($24)
4. Zoya nail polish in Noel - This color is a great blue with some shimmer in it. I have never used Zoya before but I have heard great things and look forward to trying this shade out. ($8)
5. Alex and Isabelle classic hair tie - OK this is a ponytail holder. BUT I first saw these things last Fall when I was at some posh boutique in Nashville with my sister. It claims to be gentler on your hair and prevent crimps. I almost bought them back then , until I saw how much they were. $12 for 6! C'mon now. I stuck with good ol' Goody :)  However, I am excited that this was in my box. I tried it out and it DOES prevent that ponytail crease pretty well, so thanks Birchbox.

FINAL VERDICT: Undecided. I loved getting something fun like this in the mail. I am not sure how wow'd I am by the sizes of certain products. The perfume specifically felt pretty skimpy. Like something they would hand to me for free at the department store. Lotion is nice but it's not like I have never used lotion before. I am going to see what December holds before I decide whether the Birchbox is here to stay.

November Birchbox

No comments:

Post a Comment